Using mobile devices and pads to help with speech is a fairly new process, but speech-language pathologists (SLP) know the value of using this technology. Some pathologists are developing apps for use in this market, and others are designed by parents with children who suffer from language disorders. SLPs familiar with mobile devices and their apps can strengthen ties with patients and families and extend treatment more thoroughly into daily lives, especially with the use of apps that incorporate augmentative and alternative Communication (AAC). The following list is categorized by device, including one category that offers apps across the board, or that are not dependent on one technology to be accessible.
- ConversationBuilder is designed to help elementary aged children learn how to have multi-exchange conversations with their peers in a variety of social settings.
- iName it was designed by and for speech-language pathologists to assist individuals with word finding difficulty secondary to aphasia. Additionally, it can benefit individuals with apraxia that are assisted by visual and sentence completion cues.
- Rainbow Sentences is designed to help students improve their ability to construct grammatically correct sentences by using color coded visual cues.
- SentenceBuilder is designed to help elementary aged children learn how to build grammatically correct sentences.
- Speech Journal is a customizable voice recorder that lets you pair recorded messages with your own imported images and image sequences.
- Verbally is is an easy-to-use, comprehensive augmentative and alternative Communication (AAC) app for the iPad. Verbally brings speech to those without and enables real conversation with its simple, intuitive design. Just tap in what you want to say and Verbally speaks for you.
- ArtikPix – Full version 2.2 is an update with flashcard and matching activities for children. It utilizes speech sound delays through 21 decks for the following sounds: th, f, v, ch, sh, k, g, s, z, l, r, s-blends, r-blends, l-blends, p, b, m, n, t, d, j. The decks are combined, selected for sound group, then practiced in full-featured flashcard and matching activities. The features include recorded audio, voice recording, and scoring (aka data collection).
- iCommunicate lets you design visual schedules, storyboards, communication boards, routines, flash cards, choice boards, speech cards, and more. Includes twelve languages.
- MyVoice Communication Aid helps thousands of people around the world to speak out loud. MyVoice was designed in collaboration with top research institutions to be easy to learn and use. Children are engaged by MyVoice’s bright colors and simple shapes, while adults are proud to use an app that looks so polished and attractive.
- Proloquo2Go is an AAC that provides natural sounding text-to-speech voices (American, British, and Indian English only), high resolution up-to-date symbols, powerful automatic conjugations, a default vocabulary of over 7000 items, advanced word prediction, full expandability and extreme ease of use.
- Speech Pairs offers a unique way of improving your child’s speech by using “minimal pairs” (a pair of words that differ by only one sound). For example, this application will put words such as “Which” and “Rich” (for children who have problems with R) side-by-side to highlight the slight differences between what children are saying and what they should be saying.
- Speech Tutor brings the latest in technology and animation to the world of speech. The animations inside Speech Tutor take the areas of the face that impede the view of tongue placement and positioning and make them transparent. Now one can literally see inside the mouth as the sounds are being made.
- TouchChat HD is a full-featured communication solution designed for individuals with Autism, Down Syndrome, ALS, apraxia, stroke, or other conditions that affect a person’s ability to use natural speech. TouchChat is a full featured communication application for iPod/iPad technology.
- Type n Talk has a word predictor and capacity to save the most frequently used sentences for literate individuals who have speech disorders and may have related motor difficulties. It is equipped with a very powerful, next-generation text-to-speech synthesizer that transforms written text into a male or female voice with the same acoustics as a human voice.
- AAC speech communicator is an Android application for people with speech disabilities, and a generic and easy way to learn communication method for anyone with speech disabilities.
- Aac Talking Tabs is a simple augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) device that you can use to create tables or record tales as well.
- Classic Text To Speech Engine is designed by SVOX, a Swiss company that creates voices for navigation systems built into BMW, VW, Chrysler, Ferrari, and many other cars. SVOX is now bringing its voice solutions to the Android Market. Use their voices in Android apps for navigation, e-book reading, speech-to-speech translation, language learning, and games.
- DAF Professional was developed to be the leading app to help people who stammer or have Parkinson’s Disease.
- JABtalk was designed as a communication tool for children with special needs, but has evolved into a communication tool used by special needs children, stroke patients, toddlers, speech-language pathologists, and others.
- Pocket SLP – Articulation is a flashcard app for speech therapy. Add client names, store highly specific results and export data by emailing. Target phonemes in initial, medial, and final positions at the word and/or sentence level. Also available for Droid tablets that run the Honeycomb OS only.
- Praxis II Speech-Language Pathology is a study guide written by exam experts who painstakingly researched every topic and concept that speech pathologists need to know to ace that test.
- Text-To-Speech Extended is a speech-enabled eyes-free Android application that makes this phone’s accessibility features make it easier to use if you have visual impairments. Accessibility settings let you modify your phone’s display and sound options, such as increasing the text size, ending a call using the power button, and more.
Across the Board
- AAC Speech Buddy allows users to create PECS Speech Sets and download them to your device. Use iPad, iPhone, iTouch, Android OS, or Java Desktop.
- Alexicom Tech allows you to create your own customized pages. Communication pages are paired with voice output so users can communicate with others. You can use this software on your existing computer, laptop, or other internet-accessible device.
- Gabby Tabs Lite — AAC for Kids is a kid friendly, easy to use, augmentative communication app that helps and encourages non-verbal children to communicate. Despite their “coming soon” illustration at top for Android, it is available on that market as well as the iPhone market.
- iPractice Verbs, originally designed for iPod, now is available on the Android market, too. iPractice Verbs was designed by a speech and language pathologist, and it features over 120 verbs.
- Quick Talk AAC was designed with a simple mission – to change the world by giving a voice to those who cannot speak for themselves. Available across the board, including including the Galaxy Tab, Acer tablets, and the Kindle Fire.
- Skill Tracker Pro has been designed to increase efficiency in the instruction of children with Autism. This site also contains Behavior Tracker Pro is a behavior data collection application for PDAs that allows BCBAs, behavioral therapists, aides, teachers or parents to track behaviors and graph them. Designed for the iPhone market, Android, and BlackBerry.
- SpeakAP — Analyze Pronunciation is for everyone who wants to improve or learn American English pronunciation. Now available for Android and iPhones.
- TapToTalk is a free application for iPod and iPad as well as for iPod Touch, Android, Nook, and the BlackBerry PlayBook. TapToTalk turns an all three devices into an augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) device. This free TapToTalk app comes with a fully functional album that you can use with children.